Sunday 29 April 2012

April 29, 2012

This week I have been listening to Earl Nightingale’s recording of “The Strangest Secret”.  What he says is very similar to the words of other great thinkers, that we become what we think about.  This is really true.  Since I have become aware of what I think about, and I have made conscious choices of what I think about, I have been a much more peaceful person.  Being aware of and taking ownership of our thoughts is really the key to happiness and success.
As I look back on my life thus far, I can see that up until the time that I met Cassandra, I was on the search for Truth.  I read the right books, talked to good people, set solid goals, achieved them and I was moving forward in my life.  I also had the goal of meeting an amazingly beautiful woman, bringing joy into her life and having a family.  I did that too. 
There were two things that sent me off track, however.  One was that I trusted others too much to tell me what was right.  A spiritual director long ago told me that humility does not mean putting ourselves down, humility means accepting the truth about ourselves.  If I am really good at something, be thankful for that and do it with joy.  If I know the right thing to do, I do it with confidence.  Thus, by putting the opinions of others above my own inner wisdom, I was allowing myself to make mistakes. 
This became a serious problem when I met Cassandra.  Because of her abuse and her struggles with mental illness, especially depression, her thoughts are quite confused.  Still, I allowed them to become my own.  I believed the things she said about me, like that I was selfish, I only cared about money, I cared about my work more than I cared about my family, I did not respect her or her opinions, I could not control my anger, and the list goes on.  It was only when I began to meditate regularly that I again became aware of my own thoughts and feelings.  What a beautiful revelation that was!  Bill Harris, the founder of Centerpointe Research (the makers of Holosync meditation materials), says that it is all about awareness.  How right he is!
Now that I am aware of my own thoughts, I choose positive thoughts about success and thankfulness.  When I listen to Cassandra, I can distinguish her thoughts from my own, and this allows me to be a much better listener.  Eleanor Roosevelt said, “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.”  This is exactly what I am talking about.  Cassandra’s words tell me what is going on in her mind.  This has very little, if anything, to do with me.  This is how one can live with a person with an abusive personality and not be abused, not become a victim.  Then we can look at that person spewing those angry words and say in our hearts, “Wow.  You are really hurting.  May God bless you and give you peace.” 
My God bless you as well.  Thank you for sharing my story.  My prayer is that it fills you with strength, hope and joy.
Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment