Saturday 7 April 2012

Easter, 2012


Easter, 2012

I have been debating with myself as to whether I should continue this blog now that Cassandra’s depression has lifted.  I had to go back to my original purpose, which was to give hope to those dealing with similar struggles in their marriages.  What better way to give hope than to tell people of the brighter days that lie ahead?  There is so little written from this perspective, from people who live with, grow through and ultimately triumph in extremely challenging marriages.  Though I must write clandestinely, I know that continuing this blog is simply the right thing to do.

I recently read a book called GETTING COMFORTABLE BEING UNCOMFORTABLE by Bob Molle.  The author tells the story of going from having back surgery to competing in the Olympics only 21 days later.  How did he do it?  He had a mentor who told him that athletes did not have the same limits as other people because they are not “average”.  Molle believed him and recovered quickly.  He went on to not only compete in the Olympics, but to win a silver medal in wrestling, and then to have a very successful career playing professional football. 

I believe that the same is true for those of us who have challenging marriages.  My attitude is that I am special.  God has chosen me for this marriage, and God will give me what I need to be successful.  It really is that simple.  The thing is, however, that we all have that something special.  It is just like in the movie “Space Jam”, when the Loonie Tunes players were ready to give up at half time in their basketball game against the Monstars.  Bugs Bunny gave them a water bottle to drink from, filled with Michael Jordan’s “special stuff”.  When they drank the tap water from the bottle, the Loonie Tunes all thought that they were invincible, that they had what it took to come back and win the game.  Sure enough, they won.  We all have that “special stuff” inside of us.  We just need to believe.

Easter this year is indeed a celebration of resurrection for Cassandra and I.  The dark night is over.  I feel very blessed to be married to a woman who, despite her struggles, believes that marriage is forever.  Focus on the goodness in your spouse, and the greatness in yourself.  It is a blessing to be able to share  my path with you, and it will be good for me to recall what I have learned if and when the dark times return.  I honestly am thankful that I chose Cassandra and that she chose me. 

Be thankful, be great, nourish your own goodness, love, and do the right thing.  Many blessings lie ahead.

Happy Easter!

Christian

No comments:

Post a Comment